Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Movie Review




I grew up in a small town that lacked a great educational system, so I could partially relate to this movie. The only difference for me was that I was fortunate enough to have parents who were able to afford to send me to a better school. Now, mind you, my parents weren't rich, they just were able to make the sacrifices with their careers or mortgage on their house in order to send me and my brother to school. If it weren't for that chance, I know I would not have made it as far as I did.

With that being said, I have heard there are several flaws in the movie itself. My opinion is that these "flaws" were added for dramatic effect, but they do not take away from the overall impact that the decline in our education system is having on our children.

Or is it a decline in the education system? It used to be normal for a percentage of graduates to go into skilled trades, but in this time, everyone wants a college education. I am not saying that everyone doesn't deserve a chance at a college education, I am just suggesting that maybe some of the numbers are a bit skewed.

Taking all of that into account, I know that moving me from one school to another made a big impact on what I was able to do with my future. I want the chance to give those same opportunities to my children one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment